The temple of Amun of Ramesses II
The temple complex is situated at the northern side of the settlement of Deir el-Medina.
The small building of The Ptolemaic temple dedicated to the goddess Hathor stands within the mud-brick wall. Opposite the Hathor temple, across the valley to the east, remains of a temple to Amun and the other members of the Theban triad (Mut and Khonsu) stand. The temple was built by Ramesses II (1279-1212 BC).
My aim was to compare Ann Bomann's plans and detailed descriptions using her text published in 1991 pp. 47-48 with the remains of the cult buildings at Deir el-Medina in February 2007. The results together with the photographs can be found below.
The temple consisted of a forecourt, outer and inner halls, pronaos and sanctuary. A series of steps led to the forecourt. Its floor used to be paved. Beyond the forecourt lay two limestone steps leading to the entrance of the outer hall.
The outer hall used to be the forecourt to the temple during the first stage of the building. Later, the temple was enlarged, and it became an outer hall. It had benches on both the northern and the southern walls. The hall had two centrally placed columns. The benches and both columns are not there any more. The outer hall
measured 6.40 by 5.20 m. Before the doorway into the inner hall lay the steps, in the form of tiers spanning the width of the outer hall.
A limestone threshold, consisting
of two unequally cut slabs, shows
architrave grooves and a pivot hole
to the right. There might have
been a single panel door leading to
the inner hall.
A flight of six steps, that runs
between balustrades with rounded
coping, leads to the pronaos. At the
top of the stairs there used to be
columns placed on either side.
The sanctuary was tripartite. The
dimensions for the shrines were 2 m
long by 1.90 m wide.
The view of the flight of six steps
looking west towards the entrance
into the pronaos. The floor of the
inner hall can be seen through the
Standing in the pronaos looking towards the west one can see the enclosure wall of the main Ptolemaic temple - its northern part - and on the right the chapels north of the enclosure wall.
Standing in the pronaos looking towards the south west one can see the enclosure wall of the main temple - its southern part - and in the left part of the photo the western cemetery of Deir el-Medina.
The text on this page was written by Lenka Peacock
Photography © Lenka and Andy Peacock
1. Wilkinson, R. H. : The complete temples of Ancient Egypt.
London : Thames & Hudson, 2000.
2. Bomann, Ann H.: The private chapel in ancient Egypt : a study of the chapels in the workmen's village at el Amarna with special reference to Deir el-Medina and other sites.
London : Kegan Paul International, 1991. pp. 47-48